Need to sell fast? You’re not alone. A lot of people have sudden changes that mean putting the house up for sale and moving in a hurry. Your real estate agent can help you, but here are five tips to help you move it when it’s got to go. Some of these are going to take a little more time, so even if you only anticipate selling, get on some of these now so that you can have an easier time later.
1. Look into a bridge loan. This will cover you as you put you old home on the market and move into a new one. The loans are typically short terms with higher interest rates, but it’s going to be a lot easier to sell your home if you are not in it. One bonus to consider is that the house will be in a condition where it can be viewed at any time, without you having to vacate. What’s even better is that buyers will see a home that is vacant and ready for a fast closing.
2. Price it right. US News says the first 30 days of your listing are the best action your house will see. Do your research on what comparable homes have sold in your area, and for what prices. It’s a mistake to price your house high and then lower it later. It will be a waste of time. Many buyers, especially millennial buyers, are hardnosed about what they can and can’t afford. Pricing it high will mean that someone else’s house sells before yours.
3. Make it move-in ready. Spiff up that curb appeal, fix that paint, update those fixtures, and clean the place within an inch of its life. It’s easier to get the interior ready if you’ve already moved out, and having a vacated house assures potential buyers that there are not going to be any problems with their desired move-in date.
4. Stage, stage, stage. You don’t have to completely dress the rooms, but use a home staging company to show the rooms at their best. Put a table and some chairs in the breakfast nook, and a bunk bed in the kids’ room. It helps buyers see how the rooms are used and get them excited to try decorating the place themselves.
5. List it everywhere. You realtor should be familiar with Zollow, Trulia, Redfin, and all the other portals. He or she should also have a social media presence on Facebook and other social media portals that can get your home in front of just the right set of eyeballs.
Most of all, make it clear that you are a motivated seller, and are looking for a motivated buyer – even one in the same situation as you. Your agent will be able to help you by screening out looky-loos and limiting your showings to buyers with preapproval on a mortgage. It’s stressful to sell a home, much less at high speed and under pressure, but you and your agent can do it!
You must be logged in to post a comment.