Becoming a real estate agent must be easy, right? Nothing could be further the truth. Becoming a licensed real estate agent in the state of Florida is the result of study, hard work, and passing a licensing exam. Real estate agents must also keep up with new regulations, and closely follow the market. It’s not a matter of hosting a fabulous open house, and then raking in the dough in an industry where the national median wage is approximately $43,000. Every new real estate agent should follow these 10 tips for success.
- Return telephone calls and emails as quickly as possible. People get a quick response tend to stay in the funnel. This concept is just as important to someone selling a house as to someone building website. You are building a relationship with your client from the first email or phone call.
- Phones, tablets, apps, and software – this is your technological toolbox. Staying current with the latest productivity apps, keeping organized, knowing how to use contract management software, and having mobile devices that you know inside and out can give you an epic advantage.
- Look the part. Never appear to be less than professional. This means your grooming needs to be on point, and your sartorial style should be business appropriate.
- Don’t give up! Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again. Any new profession as a learning curve. Real estate is no exception. You’re going to have failures, you’re going to make mistakes, but never treat these as personal failings. Instead use them to learn and grow.
- Always be networking. If you have nothing to do on that Saturday morning, put on your professional where, get in the car, crawl the neighborhoods and check out a few open houses for yourself.
- Collect business cards for contractors, inspectors, home stagers, insurance agents, and other professionals. Don’t be bashful about referring people to them – be a giver.
- Learn the Cornell approach to notetaking. Even if you are just using a tablet, or a little pocket Moleskine, you will have coherent notes to refer to later.
- Motivate, motivate, motivate! Real estate agents are entrepreneurs. There is nobody who is going to get out of bed in the morning except for you, so ready to hustle and smile even when it’s been a week of Mondays.
- Don’t quit your day job – yet. Building a steady income from real estate can brings ups and downs in terms of income. Keep those income streams open until you can afford to go full-time.
- Don’t forget to pat yourself on the back. Celebrate your successes, it’s very important to your morale and your motivation. Even if it’s just something small like lunch at your favorite sandwich shop.
Above all, it’s important to reach out to mentors in your chosen field. There are real estate agents who are eager to share what they know with newcomers, and help them to achieve their own success.
You must be logged in to post a comment.